Here we go:
1. Start a fundraiser on an easy to use site. As mentioned on the donation website page, Go Get Funding is the market leader.
2. Include a great fundraising pitch and even consider including a video which is proven to get your fundraiser more attention.
3. Add thoughtful rewards to your page. For example, you can give people that pledge $50 or more a shout out during the speeches.
4. Promote it to everyone you know. Don't just update your social networks, also email people about it and do some offline fundraising too.
5. Update people on how you're getting on and tell them just what a difference their donations are making / will make. That will help make people sitting on the sidelines donate too.